Occidental GypsyMake Press Inquiry
Dr. Lonnie Smith says "I love Occidental Gypsy’s new CD 44070. The compositions and arrangements are uniquely creative. They perform with enormous heart and soul and have an original groove that is definitely worth checking out."
“Occidental Gypsy is a crowd pleaser. Jaunty vocals, lots of swing, and evocative violin and guitar interplay make this an act to catch and enjoy. They were a big hit at Djangofest Mill Valley ’15.” – Nicholas Lehr, Executive Promoter of Djangofest
Chicago Tribune Jazz Critic Howard Reich: “sonic pleasures to be had, particularly in an energetic, gypsy-jazz transformation of Duke Ellington’s “It Don’t Mean a Thing (If It Ain’t Got That Swing),” which opened the evening. More than once, vocalist-guitarist Frantz brought the large crowd to near silence through the warmth and openness of his singing, as in “Georgia on My Mind.” read full review
Occidental Gypsy delivers an exhilarating blend of gypsy swing, jazz and world music with a rousing acoustic sound.
Nationally recognized Occidental Gypsy plays a dynamic, multi-genre mix of original vocal and instrumental pieces along with many notable covers like a “gypsyfied” take of Michael Jackson’s Thriller.
The Boston Globe has named them a “Best Bet for Weekend Entertainment,” and musician David Bromberg said of the group, “great singing, fantastic guitar and violin work, with high energy originals that leave the crowd crazy. An awesome band.”
Occidental Gypsy’s sound appeals to a wide spectrum of listeners, and their shows consistently draw enthusiastic audiences at colleges, arts centers, festivals and clubs.
The band has found a powerfully seismic acoustic sound as they play a dynamic mix of original vocal and instrumental pieces--and a few memorable standards-- to exhilarated crowds. Occidental Gypsy's music cannot be easily classified; a bit of jazz, a catchy strain of pop, and "a whole lotta’ gypsified swing…"
Occidental Gypsy features award-winning violin prodigy Eli Bishop who has played with Wynton Marsalis and Bill Evans of the Miles Davis Group, and still plays at Jazz at Lincoln Center. Occidental Gypsy has played to solid and sold out crowds at the legendary Nighttown in Cleveland, Old Town School of Folk Music and The Green Mill in Chicago, the Bluebird Cafe in Nashville, the Ark in Ann Arbor Michigan and The Triple Door in Seattle, among many others.
The band has shared the stage with such greats as Rikki Lee Jones, Jorma Kaukenen, Stanley Jordan, Joe Sample, and David Bromberg, among others and the band recently played to a sold out show at the 2015 DjangoFest in Mill Valley, California-- a prestigious homage to Gypsy Swing master Django Reinhardt.
Downloadable Press Assets: www.occidentalgypsy.com/press
Jazz | World Music/Traditional | Blues
- Occidental Gypsy Website
- Tour Dates
- YouTube Channel
- Occidental Gypsy on SoundCloud
- Occidental Gypsy EPK
- Miami, FL
Acoustic quintet expands Django Reinhardt's sounds for a new audience
By popular demand, Occidental Gypsy is returning to the South Miami-Dade Cultural Arts Center for a special afternoon performanc
- 02/16/2020, Miami, FL, South Miami-Dade Cultural Arts Ctr, 3:30PM View
- 02/14/2020, Miami, FL, Lagniappe House, Miami, Florida, 10:00PM Headliner View
- 02/13/2020, Boca Raton, FL, Boca Black Box Center for the Arts, 8:00 PM - 10:00 PM View
- 11/01/2019, Indianapolis, IN, Jazz Kitchen, 7:30PM View
- 10/31/2019, Cleveland, OH, BOP STOP at The Music Settlement, 8:00PM View
- 09/14/2019, Grand Rapids, MI, The Dogwood Center for Performing Arts, 7:30PM View
- 09/13/2019, Wilmington, DE, Cultural Center at the Opera House, 8:00PM View
- 09/13/2019, Baltimore, MD, Cultural Center at the Opera House, 8:00PM View
- Sky King's Mountain Beat, Concert review, 06/18/2012, Sky King's Beat See Text
- Milwaukee Express , Album review, 12/11/2011, " a kick to hear" See Text
- Chuck Wentworth, Producer, Concert review, 08/31/2011, Chuck Wentworth, Producer Rhythm and Roots Festival See Text
- Boston Globe , 09/20/2011, Boston Globe's Weekend Best Bet See Text
- David Bromberg, 08/01/2012, David Bromberg Weighs in on Occidental Gypsy See Text
- Cape Cod Times, 01/29/2015, NEWS NOW The Barnstable County Sheriff’s Office has a new video about home theft that will be featured in a crime prevention talk on Thursday at the senior center. ... Wellfleet play bares Cape's drug problem ... Pet shelter volunteer training set ... The Barnstable County Sheriff’s Office has a new video about home theft that will be featured in a crime prevention talk on Thursday at the senior center. ... Wellfleet play bares Cape's drug problem ... Pet shelter volunteer training set ... SOUND CHOICE Occidental Gypsy puts own spin on unusual jazz style See Text
- All Press Clips on OccidentalGypsy.com, Article, 10/01/2013, Press Clip Archive on OccidentalGypsy.com See Text
- The Hartford Courant, 01/26/2015, Occidental Gypsy Converting Fans With Its Red-Hot Saucy Swing See Text