Occidental GypsyMake Press Inquiry
Dr. Lonnie Smith says "I love Occidental Gypsy’s new CD 44070. The compositions and arrangements are uniquely creative. They perform with enormous heart and soul and have an original groove that is definitely worth checking out."
“Occidental Gypsy is a crowd pleaser. Jaunty vocals, lots of swing, and evocative violin and guitar interplay make this an act to catch and enjoy. They were a big hit at Djangofest Mill Valley ’15.” – Nicholas Lehr, Executive Promoter of Djangofest
Chicago Tribune Jazz Critic Howard Reich: “sonic pleasures to be had, particularly in an energetic, gypsy-jazz transformation of Duke Ellington’s “It Don’t Mean a Thing (If It Ain’t Got That Swing),” which opened the evening. More than once, vocalist-guitarist Frantz brought the large crowd to near silence through the warmth and openness of his singing, as in “Georgia on My Mind.” read full review
Occidental Gypsy delivers an exhilarating blend of gypsy swing, jazz and world music with a rousing acoustic sound.
Nationally recognized Occidental Gypsy plays a dynamic, multi-genre mix of original vocal and instrumental pieces along with many notable covers like a “gypsyfied” take of Michael Jackson’s Thriller.
The Boston Globe has named them a “Best Bet for Weekend Entertainment,” and musician David Bromberg said of the group, “great singing, fantastic guitar and violin work, with high energy originals that leave the crowd crazy. An awesome band.”
Occidental Gypsy’s sound appeals to a wide spectrum of listeners, and their shows consistently draw enthusiastic audiences at colleges, arts centers, festivals and clubs.
The band has found a powerfully seismic acoustic sound as they play a dynamic mix of original vocal and instrumental pieces--and a few memorable standards-- to exhilarated crowds. Occidental Gypsy's music cannot be easily classified; a bit of jazz, a catchy strain of pop, and "a whole lotta’ gypsified swing…"
Occidental Gypsy features award-winning violin prodigy Eli Bishop who has played with Wynton Marsalis and Bill Evans of the Miles Davis Group, and still plays at Jazz at Lincoln Center. Occidental Gypsy has played to solid and sold out crowds at the legendary Nighttown in Cleveland, Old Town School of Folk Music and The Green Mill in Chicago, the Bluebird Cafe in Nashville, the Ark in Ann Arbor Michigan and The Triple Door in Seattle, among many others.
The band has shared the stage with such greats as Rikki Lee Jones, Jorma Kaukenen, Stanley Jordan, Joe Sample, and David Bromberg, among others and the band recently played to a sold out show at the 2015 DjangoFest in Mill Valley, California-- a prestigious homage to Gypsy Swing master Django Reinhardt.
Downloadable Press Assets: www.occidentalgypsy.com/press
Jazz | World Music/Traditional | Blues
- Wilmington, NC
Acoustic gypsy quintet incorporates western sounds into hot club jazz
Internationally acclaimed Occidental Gypsy plays an exhilarating blend of gypsy swing, jazz and world music that enraptures the listener with a complex acoustic sound, burnished by smooth vocals reminiscent of the first era of swing. Their original approach to Gypsy music pays homage to Django Reinhardt and expands the genre to include elements of western (Occidental) sounds, including blues, Klezmer and Latin. ⇒ BAND ONE SHEET (PDF)
Occidental Gypsy has played over...
- 02/24/2019, Baltimore, MD, CABARET at Germano’s Piattini , 6:00PM View
- 02/23/2019, Virginia Beach, VA, Zeiders American Dream Theater, 7:30PM View
- 02/17/2019, Wilmington, NC, The Juggling Gypsy, 7:30PM View
- 02/16/2019, Charlotte, NC, Reeves Theatre, 8:00PM View
- 10/13/2018, Akron, OH, BluJazz View
- 10/12/2018, Cleveland, OH, The BOP Stop, 8:00PM View
- 10/11/2018, Detroit, MI, Cliff Bell's, 8:00PM View
- 09/22/2018, Pittsburgh, PA, Robert S. Carey Performing Arts Center, 7:00PM View
- Legendary Dr. Lonnie Smith, Album review, 01/13/2017, Dr. Lonnie Smith reviews "44070" See Text
- Don Heckman of LA Times, Concert review, 06/16/2015, Genuine Hot Club Jazz from Occidental Gypsy See Text
- Chicago Tribune Review, Concert review, 07/25/2015, Chicago Tribune Concert Review- Occidental Gypsy at the Green Mill See Text
- DjangoFest Mill Valley, Concert review, 07/03/2015, Occidental Gypsy is Crowd Pleaser See Text
- The Hartford Courant, 01/26/2015, Occidental Gypsy Converting Fans With Its Red-Hot Saucy Swing See Text
- All Press Clips on OccidentalGypsy.com, Article, 10/01/2013, Press Clip Archive on OccidentalGypsy.com See Text
- Cape Cod Times, 01/29/2015, NEWS NOW The Barnstable County Sheriff’s Office has a new video about home theft that will be featured in a crime prevention talk on Thursday at the senior center. ... Wellfleet play bares Cape's drug problem ... Pet shelter volunteer training set ... The Barnstable County Sheriff’s Office has a new video about home theft that will be featured in a crime prevention talk on Thursday at the senior center. ... Wellfleet play bares Cape's drug problem ... Pet shelter volunteer training set ... SOUND CHOICE Occidental Gypsy puts own spin on unusual jazz style See Text
- David Bromberg, 08/01/2012, David Bromberg Weighs in on Occidental Gypsy See Text